Day of Procedure:
- Do not have any solid foods or dairy products after midnight the day before your procedure.
- You may have clear liquids until 4 HOURS before your procedure (Examples of clear liquids include: water, clear soup broth, clear fruit juice (apple, white cranberry, white grape, etc..(NO RED)), coffee/tea(NO MILK), sodas-cola, ginger ale or 7-up, jello, popsicles or italian ice (NO ‘RED’ COLOR AND NO DAIRY PRODUCTS)
- After this time, nothing by mouth including water, gum, candy or mints.
- You should take your vital medications, including heart, blood pressure, thyroid and seizure medications as directed 4 HOURS BEFORE PROCEDURE with a small sip of water.
- If you have asthma, use your inhaler as directed and bring it with you.
- You may brush your teeth.
- You will receive sedation for the procedure.
- Please make sure you have arranged ahead of time for a responsible adult (age 18 or over) to drive you home after the procedure.
- If you are a diabetic, to avoid dangerously low blood sugar, please do not take your oral medications for your diabetes or your insulin on the morning of your procedure. You can resume your diabetes medications after the procedure, once you have eaten. If you are taking insulin, please check with your endocrinologist or primary doctor as to the best way to manage your blood sugar. Please bring your insulin with you. If you are unsure about taking any medications, please call us.
- If you are taking coumadin, plavix, or aspirin, it may need to be stopped prior to your procedure. Please ask your doctor. These medications are usually stopped several days before your procedure.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing such as a sweat suit. NO JEANS and NO METAL – including zippers and bra hooks (Sports bras only). Leave all jewelry at home including belly rings & tongue piercings.
- If you are a smoker, it is advised that you do not smoke at least 6 hours before the procedure.
After the Procedure:
- The effects of the anesthesia can persist for 24 hours. After receiving the sedation, you must exercise extreme caution before engaging in any activity that could be harmful to yourself or others (such as driving a car). Do not make any important decisions and do not drink any alcoholic beverages during this time period.
- Take only the medication that is prescribed by your doctor.
- After your procedure, you may have anything you’d like to eat or drink although you should start with something ’light’. Please include plenty of fluids. Avoid items that cause gas such as sodas and salads.
- If your procedure required the placement of a metal clip, you cannot have an MRI for 30 days.
If you have any questions, please call our office at 908-218-9222.