TriLyte Bowel Prep
Before You Begin:
Fill prescription for Trilyte and and purchase two Dulcolax Pills (over the counter).
Day Before Procedure:
Eat a LIGHT breakfast.
Mix TriLyte according to instructions and refrigerate. Begin drinking clear liquids abundantly and frequently to avoid dehydration and help to flush your bowel. DRINK ONLY CLEAR LIQUIDS!
Take two Dulcolax pills with an 8 oz. glass of water.
5:00 PM – 6:00PM
Begin drinking 1/2 TriLyte. Drink one 8 oz glass every 15 minutes. It is best to drink the whole glass rapidly, rather than sipping slowly.
Continue drinking until 1/2 the bottle is empty.
Examples of Clear Liquids:
Day of Procedure:
MORNING: 4:00 AM
Drink the remaining 1/2 of Trilyte solution.
Stop all liquids 4 hours before your procedure, including water, gum, candy, mints, and cough drops.
- You may feel chilled when drinking the solution. This is normal and you can try to keep warm with extra clothing.
- You may awaken during the night to have a bowel movement.
- If nausea or bloating occurs, you may skip one glass of solution, and then resume drinking every 15 minutes
- You may take your vital medications with a small sip of water.
- You may brush your teeth.
- Please arrive for your procedure at least a half an hour prior to your procedure time.
- Please make sure you have arranged ahead of time for a responsible adult (age 18 or over) to drive you home after the procedure.
- If you are a diabetic, to avoid dangerously low blood sugar, please do not take your oral medications for your diabetes or your insulin on the morning of your procedure. You can resume your diabetes medications after the procedure, once you have eaten. If you are taking insulin it is always a good idea to check with your endocrinologist or primary doctor as to the best way to manage your blood sugars. Please bring your insulin with you. If you are unsure about taking any medication, please call us.
- If you are taking coumadin, plavix, or aspirin, it may need to be stopped prior to your procedure. Please ask your doctor. These medications are usually stopped several days before your procedure.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing such as a sweat suit. No metal should be worn including underwire bras or zippers. Leave all jewelry at home including belly rings & tongue piercings.
- If you are a smoker, it is advised that you do not smoke at least 6 hours before the procedure.
After the Procedure:
- You must arrange for a responsible adult (18 or over) to drive you home. Going home in a taxi is not allowed.
- The effects of the anesthesia can persist for 24 hours. After receiving the sedation, you must exercise extreme caution before engaging in any activity that could be harmful to yourself or others (such as driving a car). Do not make any important decisions and do not drink any alcoholic beverages during this time period.
- Take only the medication that is prescribed by your doctor.
- After your procedure, you may have anything you’d like to eat or drink. You will probably want to start with something light. Please include plenty of fluids. Avoid items that cause gas such as sodas and salads.
- If your procedure required the placement of a metal clip, you cannot have an MRI for 30 days.
If you have any questions, please call our office at 908-218-9222.
NOTE- Failure to take the preparation as indicated may result in a poorly cleansed colon and possible cancellation of procedure.
Patient Forms Get a
Price Quote Doctors'