Breath Test Preparation
Preparation Instructions for Lactose Intolerance and Bacterial Overgrowth Breath Tests
**Plan to be in the office for 3 hours for either one of these tests.**
- You should not eat high fiber of slowly digesting foods the day prior to the test.
Examples: whole grains (white rice is acceptable), pasta, bran or high fiber cereal, nuts, seeds, beans, vegetables, fruites, dairy products (except eggs), red meat, corn, carbonated beverages.
- You should fast at least 12 hours prior to the test. You may have water in moderation in the morning of the procedure. You WILL NOT be able to have anything to drink or eat during the test.
- You should not smoke or be exposed to second hand smoke for at least 1 hour prior to the test or during the test.
- You should not sleep or exercise for at least one hour prior to the test or at any time during the test.
- Please let your physician know if you have been on recent antibiotic therapy or have runny diarrhea (you will need to be finished with antibiotic therapy for 2 weeks prior to the test).
- You should not use laxatives 1 week prior to the test.
- You should not take your normal medications with WATER ONLY the morning of the procedure (blood pressure, heart, thyroid, etc.). If you are taking medications for diabetes please check with the prescribing physician regarding taking them the day of the test.
Preparation Instructions for H. pylori Breath Test
- You SHOULD be finished with all antibiotics and Pepto Bismol ONE month prior to test.
- The following medications should be STOPPED two weeks prior to the test unless otherwise specified by your physician:
- Priolosec (Omeprazole)
- Prevacid (Lansoprazole)
- Protonix (Pantoprazole)
- You SHOULD NOT have anything to eat or drink SIX hours prior to the test.
Patient Forms Get a
Price Quote DHC